The Punjab Police uniform was last changed in 2017 when the black shirts and khaki pants were replaced with all olive-green. There have been no amendments to the uniform pattern since then.
However, there was a possibility that the uniform may be changed again in the future. In 2022, the Inspector General of Police (IG) Punjab, Rao Sardar Ali Khan, constituted a seven-member committee to review the existing uniform pattern and make recommendations for any necessary changes. The committee submitted its report.
Some of the potential changes that the committee may recommend include:
- Changing the color of the uniform to a different shade of green.
- Adding or removing certain elements from the uniform, such as the shoulder epaulets or the belt.
- Making the uniform more comfortable and breathable.
- Making the uniform more reflective, to improve visibility at night.
The final decision on whether or not to change the uniform had to be made by the IG Punjab. However, no action was taken at that time on the committee’s report which provides valuable input into the decision-making process.
Here are some of the reasons why the Punjab Police uniform was decided to be changed:
- To improve the visibility of police officers, especially at night.
- To make the uniform more comfortable and breathable, especially in hot weather.
- To make the uniform more reflective, to improve visibility at night.
- To make the uniform more in line with international standards.
- To make the uniform more aesthetically pleasing.
Amendment in Uniform Pattern of Punjab Police
Basically there are two different amendments are made, one for male constables and one for female constables. The amendment that has been made to the uniform pattern of the Punjab Police now is not related to the entire uniform as changed earlier but only to the shoulder rank or shoulder badge of the constable rank. The amendment is made vide rule 4.2(2) of Police Rules 1934 the following amendments in the “Uniform Pattern of Punjab Police” issued vide Standing Order No.4 of 2021, are hereby made, with immediate effect:
1. Shoulder Braids:
Blue Braids” shall be worn at shoulder straps by the Constables of Punjab Police as detailed below:
|Years of service
|Number of braids
|Width of each braid
2. Head Scarf for female police officers:
All female officers of the Punjab Police may wear a “Head Scarf” of snatching uniform color, as optional head gear.
The above mentioned amendment is made through Inspector General of Police, Punjab officer letter No.2451/C-I, dated: 10-07-2023.